Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Ted Cruz is just another smarmy politician

I've always liked Ted Cruz, he is the Republican who I agree with most on the issues.  He's free market, pro-life and for a measured foreign policy (less aggressive than Marco Rubio but more aggressive than Rand Paul).  Most importantly, he would stick to his ideals despite pressure from the establishment.  He may have made some tactical errors because of that but I couldn't help but admire him for his idealism.  He has been the candidate that I would have voted for if I didn't care at all about electability. 

Unfortunately, his interview last night with Megyn Kelly unmasked him as just  another smarmy politician.  One who thinks the Constitution is maleable, depending on the way the winds are blowing or what is politically advantageous, one who doesn't answer direct questions with direct answers.

When Megyn Kelly asked him about the 14th amendment and birthright citizenship, he said that "as a policy matter, it doesn't make sense anymore".  This struck me as the same answer you would get from a liberal with regards to the Right to Keep and Bear Arms after a school shooting. 

It seems to me that the text of the 14th amendment is pretty clear on birthright citizenship.  It says "all persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."  It is no less clear than "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The funny thing is that Ted Cruz actually agrees with me or he used to before it became politically expedient to mirror Trump's views with the goal of getting his supporters when Trump blows up.  During the interview Megyn Kelly quoted Ted Cruz back to himself.  Here is what he said in 2011:

“The 14th Amendment provides for birthright citizenship. I’ve looked at the legal arguments against it, and I will tell you as a Supreme Court litigator, those arguments are not very good. As much as someone may dislike the policy of birthright citizenship, it’s in the U.S. Constitution. And I don’t like it when federal judges set aside the Constitution because their policy preferences are different.”

But of course that was before he was running for President and so didn't have to worry about his words offending another candidates supporters.  He really didn't have a good answer after Megyn Kelly brought out that quote, talking around it rather than explaining why he changed his mind like a normal, honest person would have.

Megyn Kelly then asked Cruz the same question Trump has been asked, whether he would deport with the parents two children of illegal immigrants that were technically citizens of the US.  He totally avoided answering that question as he attempted a typical maneuver of a politician, having his cake and eating it too.  Without being on record as saying he would deport them, he could pivot later and say he is against deporting children without technically flip-flopping while at the same time not saying anything that would offend the Trumpitistas and those that support Trump's immigration plan.  I don't like Trump for many reasons but at least he answers questions directly as he did this question when it was asked of him.

Last night it became clear that Ted Cruz is willing to do anything to become President, which is exactly the opposite of why I always had been fond of him.  If I wanted someone who would lie with a straight face and a smile and evade questions I would vote for a Bill Clinton or a John Edwards.  Looks like Ted Cruz came to Washington to change it but instead it changed him.

He also left me wondering what other constitutional provisions is he set to oppose for political expediency with the goal of gaining more power for himself?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course, Sen Cruz, somehow, believes himself to be an Art. II §I Cl. 5 natural U.S. Citizen by birth. I would ask Sen Cruz, or any of his supporters, to cite the statute that tells us Sen Cruz is a Art. II §I Cl. 5 natural U.S. Citizen by birth. None have been able to do so thus far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On that note, I do wonder whether it is wise for Cruz of all people to be arguing for restricting the definition of a citizen of the US. It kind of unleashes a can of worms on his candidacy.

      Delete
  3. I really liked this article and others you've authored.

    Would you be OK if I shared one of your articles with the WriterBeat.com community? I can provide more information about Writer Beat or answer any question, but better than anything I can say in words, please take a look at the site.

    If yes, just give me an "OK" and I'll handle the rest (there is no fee).

    Autumn
    AutumnCote@WriterBeat.com

    ReplyDelete